Monday 8 October 2018

Game Design Readings

My Thoughts on the Game Design Readings

"The Art of Computer Game Design" by Chris Crawford

After I spent time reading three of the supplied articles. I felt that I learned a lot about the process of game design. The first article I read was The Essence of Euro-Style Games. This article was very interesting. I learned about what exactly a "Euro Game" is as I have never heard of this term before. Factors that make a Euro Game unique include Simple rules, can be played in under an hour and no player elimination featured. I found learning about these features fascinating as I was completely unaware of the concepts behind a Euro Game.

The second article I read was So You're Going to Make a Video Game For The First Time?. This article was very interesting as it features a lot of useful tips for aspiring game designers. Advice that I personally found helpful included always putting gameplay first over the appearance or story of your game. I feel this is important as fun gameplay will always be what keeps a player coming back to your game. Another piece of advice I thought is helpful was to thoroughly play your game before to showcasing it to anyone else this is to ensure you are satisfied with the quality of the game yourself before receiving feedback or criticism.

The third article I read was What Computer Game Designers Can Learn From Non-Electronic Games. This article was interesting as it detailed the origin of the medium of games. Many may think of games such as Pong where the first video game but they weren't. Games existed much earlier and were often used as a form of training exercise during wars. This was new to me but is completely understandable. I also learned about the growth of board games as an entertainment medium post World War II and how this eventually led to the creation of the first video games from designers influenced by the past.

Overall the three articles I read were quite informative and entertaining in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment